Monday, June 9, 2008

So Today

I got to see Phylicia Rashad talk. In other words--Clair Huxtable--Mrs. Cosby anyone? yeah that's the one. It was so cool- like inside the actor's studio but for my school and no stuffy james lipton who asks "what turns you on" and "how did you feel about your mother's rocky relationship with you step-father". james lipton is mr. potatohead. anyways--i swear this woman is one of those women who are just beautiful and at peace with themselves. there are types of people who glow and are beautiful because they know who they are, they speak and are mindful of their words, they are centered and just basically radiate. i hope that when i'm old i'll be able to be like that; it's just inspiring.
I'm memorizing Shakespeare right now and have a scene to present tomorrow from Twelfth Night. I'm stressed out because I have a scene partner who is nice and sweet but just doesn't have the drive to work and it's awkward. I swear I'm having to learn patience and self-control. I'm so glad I have Ashley here because I've discovered that when I get stressed, I get nervous and antsy and negative and then I beat myself up. She just sat me down and was like "ok, listen what's the worst that could happen? it'll be fine" and it will be.
i had to be a meerkat today. I don't think i did enough work or observation. you look at people around you and we're learning that so much in acting can be derived from nature. you can use mannerisms, idiosyncrasies, habits from nature to inform the creation of your character---instead of trying to conjure up feelings that will end up being fake and forced and playing a type or imitating and not being free to just do. it's fascinating-i'm learning a lot.

sorry this post was kind of generic. i'm tired and tomorrow i have to say this:

"Look, sir! Such a one I was this present! Is 't not well done? 'Tis engraved, sir; 'Twill endure wind and weather...Your lord does know my mind. I cannot love him. Yet I suppose him virtuous, know him noble, of great estate, of fresh and stainless youth, in voices well-divulged, free, learn'ed and valiant, and in dimension and shape of nature a gracious person. but yet i cannot love him. he might have took his answer long ago."

geez louise, my tongue and mind are having seizures.

No comments: