Friday, August 29, 2008

something new

oh bid me well goodnight. i have found a corner of dust and secrets to call my own, hollowed out from the damp earth under boards rotten and worn being too long trod upon. bid me i pray, goodnight, to burrow my head among the sandy-eyed beetles and ripple skinned grubs that wake with nights dark tide. i pray, kiss my eyelids soft and gently, let not my lashes linger on your lips, and if one strays, make a wish for my waking. i pray you as i hold your ankles tight and grip your strong calves planted firmly in your worn boots, pry my pulsing fingers from your safe warmth and bid me goodnight. tuck me in amongst the moths and and mossy blankets of the earth. i pray you, bid me goodnight and let me slumber with the cobwebs and musty dank where i belong, where i belong. look not upon my ashen puffy face in this veil of night, but let your roots grow deep, your boots mix deep into my borrow of dirt. for even though i bid you goodnight, i pray that my limp lichen soul becomes one with the deep that when light finds my corner, i may be a speck of soil upon your boot that walks across the earth and in your deep path, nurture flowers that arise and bloom.

but now darling, bid me well goodnight

1 comment:

way said...

i really like repeated lines, i like the "bid me well goodnight."